411-PAIN What to do if you are a victim of a hit and runAs a driver in Florida, the chances of being involved in a hit and run accident are very high. Hit and runs are known in legal terms as leaving the scene of an accident. It is a crime in Florida but that does not stop people. The Florida Highway Patrol reported that over the course of 2012, over 70,000 hit and run accidents had occurred. The service of 1-800-411-PAIN was created to help people in these situations.
If you are involved in a hit and run:
- Stay calm - As hard as it sounds in such a moment, being calm is necessary so that you can act swiftly and intelligently.
- Stay safe - Make sure you as well as your passengers are fine. As a driver, you are responsible for the well being of those in your car. See if they have suffered any injuries from the accident and check how many people were involved.
- Inform yourself - Try to find any information you can about the vehicle before it leaves. Take a mental picture of the license plate, the make, model and any other details of the vehicle as well as the person driving it.
- Call the police - Hit and run accidents are a punishable offense and you also need a police report for your insurance claim. Tell the police how the accident happened in detail and try to describe the car and driver.
- Call 1-800-411-PAIN - They will give you peace of mind by helping you secure the medical and legal services for your needs.
- Gather evidence - As you wait for the police to arrive try to gather as much information as you can. Take pictures if possible and look for eyewitnesses so that you can have evidence to back up your claims.